What it does: Ever felt the impending feeling of gloom that comes with shorter days and minimal sun? Then you understand how important the “sunshine” vitamin is to your mood. But it also plays a crucial role in helping your immune system fight off nasty winter bugs, and also contributes to strong bones even in the darkest of months.
Where to find it: Vitamin D deficiencies is very common, especially as you get further away from sunnier places close to the equator – this is due to the fact that our skin produces vitamin D in response to sunshine. Other risk factors for deficiency include having dark skin, not eating enough fish or dairy, or staying indoors (as we tend to do during those frigid winter months). But as winter calls, we can make sure we get enough of this important vitamin by:
• Bundling up in your warmest layers and heading outside for a brisk walk and 20-30 minutes of sun exposure 3 times a week (just don’t forget the SPF the rest of the time!)
• Invite your loved ones over for a vitamin D-rich brunch where things like oily fish (such as salmon, herring, or mackerel), scrambled eggs, and fancy lattes (made with fortified dairy milks) are on the menu. For extra grey days, you can get a boost by adding supplements to your regular diet.
What it does: Unfortunately, it won’t cure you from that miserable cold, but it will keep your skin strong all winter long. This natural antioxidant plays a role in collagen production, which helps minimise the appearance of wrinkles.
Where to find it: Getting enough vitamin C is hardly a wearisome task – in fact, it’s quite simple and incredibly delicious to add to your daily diet!
• Start chilly, grey mornings with a smoothie to brighten your day (and skin)! Fruits such as oranges, berries, pineapple and strawberries are great sources of vitamin C. Good veggie sources include broccoli, spinach, and kale.
• On the move and far from your beloved blender? Astaxanthin supplements pack a vitamin C-punch and are easy to carry with you in your purse or pocket, whether you’re on route to work or cross-country skiing.
Or why not add vitamin C to your skin care routine?
• It’s easy to glow up your skin care routine with a berry-infused serum that hydrates your skin and helps to protect it from harsh winter conditions.
With these trusty vitamins at your side, you can brighten those dark, chilly days with a glowing complexion that radiates energy! Winter, we’re ready for you!